Monday, May 18, 2020

Apocalypse Noun Redux



Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando) reading to Willard/the camera from Time Magazine. Look close and you will notice a variant (raised middle, ring and pinkie fingers) of Donald Trump's finger-to-thumb speaking gesture.


Here we are a few scenes later:


It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means.


Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies too be feared. They are truly enemies.

I remember I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we inoculated the children for polio. And this old man came running after us and he was crying; he couldn't say. We went back then and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile -- a pile of little arms. And I remember -- I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I wanna remember it -- I never wanna forget it -- I never want to forget. And then I realized, like I was shot. Like I was shot with a diamond, a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my god, the genius of that, the genius, the will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment