Saturday, July 23, 2022

Gardening Gloves


Sometime back in March, on Day 6 of a stretch of wet days, I was walking through the Marine Drive Canadian Tire store when I noticed a pair of goat leather gloves on sale -- $19.99. I'd been gardening in cloth all these years and thought, Maybe it's time to buy a leather pair? A pair that would see me to the end of my gardening days.

The weather being what it wasn't, it was a while before I got going in the garden. But when I did, in mid-April, it was daily.

Yesterday I was on my hands and knees pulling up crabgrass with my weeding tool when I noticed a strange sensation at the tip of the middle finger of my left hand. Sure enough, a pencil-thick hole had worn through the leather, and that was my skin the ground was touching, not the glove between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment