Sunday, August 28, 2022

The Last Sunday in August


The last Sunday in August is one of those days of which there are a handful spread out over the year. These are my Je Ne Sais Quoi Days, so capitalized because they are occasions, like Christmas or Hanukkah or Eid Al-Fitr.

What is it about this day? Returning to school was a big part of it. Did I like school? For the most part, yes. But the feelings I had upon returning -- they were complicated in ways that took me years to appreciate.

It's important to sit with what we find complicated. We are lucky to be aware of our feelings. Not lined up beside each other, but marbled. For me, the last Sunday in August is a mixture of dread (for what's coming) and relief (for what's about to end). A Baudelairian condition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment