Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Crocuses


A sunny day yesterday. A little colder than I like, but then I'm not usually in the garden this early in the year.

The beds look better with fall and winter's junk out of them. Worst are the wispy stalks of oregano that present themselves like loose threads. My oregano is everywhere now, and I still find myself buying it at the food store! Must change that this year, though what I like even more about oregano, the herb, is oregano, the ornament -- its fluff and colour, particularly amidst the lobelia (blue) and the begonia (pink).

The crocuses (I cannot write "croci" with a straight face) are those that were planted by the Widow Bodnar who lived next door (west) until the 1980s. I knew her son and grandson, but she was long before my time. I only know her by the two people on our block who have been here since the 1960s. They remember her. It was one of them -- I can't remember who -- who told me about her garden.

photo: Judy Radul

No comments:

Post a Comment