Friday, June 18, 2021

"professional senses"


You read enough of anything and you see patterns. Le Carré's protagonists are brilliant thinkers, but that doesn't free them of their anguish. Humiliations run the gamut, from the personal to the professional. 

My favourite LeCarré moments come when an agent goes on "operational alert." From there on in, everything is "Method". 

"... I was halfway when I realized I was being followed. I thought at first it might be Larry behind me, or Munslow, because my follower was so quiet that my awareness of him was communicated less by hearing than by my other professional senses: the prickle on your back; the reflection in the air before you, made by someone just behind you; the sense of presence each time you check a shop window and see nothing." (213)

No comments:

Post a Comment