Monday, March 6, 2023

The Refrigerator of Modern Art


The refrigerator supplies homes with a large metal surface for shopping lists, messages, invoices and two dimensional works of art, sometimes attached by three dimension works of art, in the form of magnets. The refrigerator up top is included in the UBC Belkin's The Wilful Plot exhibition, and as such asks that it be seen not as a refrigerator with stuff on it, but with art eyes.

The work is called Freon (2015 - ongoing) and is attributed to artists Derya Akay and Vivienne Bessette. Freon is a registered trademark that speaks to the arrangement of halocarbon products that function in the refrigeration system. Freon sounds like an element in the Periodic Table, but like napalm, it isn't.

Akay and Bessette's refrigerator is okay with us adding to it, as people have and continue to add to it while visiting the garden behind Unit 17, where Akay and Bissette are also ongoing. I added my business card (printed for me by an editor/publisher I work with) because that business is concerned with the exhibition and promotion of visual art. Not sure if I took the picture up top before or after I added my card, but if you see the show (up until mid-April), you'll see it.

Below is what I've mounted on the side of my refrigerator. A permutating arrangement of postcards sent to me and photos I've found in stores and shops in Vancouver, Glasgow, Paris and Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment