Sunday, March 5, 2023

Printmaking


It might have been while doing studio visits at Powell River a few summers ago that I purchased a card (in Lund?) of a hummingbird printed in ovoids and formlines. I remember thinking how unusual it was to see a hummingbird in that style -- avian subjects being either ferocious (Eagle, Thunderbird) or, perhaps in contrast, irreverent (Raven). And suddenly there was ... this hummingbird? What did I know.

Recently a friend gave me a stamp*, perhaps in recognition of the letters I like to send, letters that often feature drawings and collages on blank recipe cards. A friend who gives me things quietly, without saying what they're for; someone I've known since we were thirteen, but have come to know better these past months. Ours are sometimes telepathic conveyances, for there is something to be said about being in the presence of someone born within three weeks of you.

First impression (on joss paper).

Detail.

Second impression.


* Stamp design by Terry Starr (Tsimshian)

No comments:

Post a Comment