Friday, November 25, 2022

Whistler's Other


Meeka contacted me a couple weeks back to ask if I would review the "Skateboarding" show at the Audain Art Museum at Whistler, and I said yes. The due date for copy is February. the issue scheduled for early summer.

The exhibition will have been down six months by then, but reviews have a way of living on, showing up years later at art school studios after someone drops off a parent's old art magazines for students to flip through. When they're not on their phones, that is.

This might have been my first trip out of town in over year. A shameful feeling for me, though there is nothing about Whistler today that makes me think I've missed anything. How it went from an improvised community rooted in skiing to an expensive back alley stop for the international jet-set is a story that belongs as much to its present as it does to its past.

No comments:

Post a Comment