Saturday, April 30, 2022

The Last Days of the British Ex


A short after-dinner walk last night had me passing the British Ex-Serviceman's Association, when I heard a rap at the window. It was Bridget, of Bridget and Alison who live around the corner. A couple pints later, Bridget winning two meat draw hampers, some Korean chicken take-out Alison picked up from across the street (the BEx stopped serving food years ago), Alex and Anita's karaoke, and more laughs than I've had in a long time, I resumed my walk.

Monday May 23rd will be the British Ex's last day at 1143 Kingsway, after at least 50 years at that location (the building was sold to developers last year). My history with the pub began in 1994, when I moved to Kingsway and took out a membership, promising at the swearing-in ceremony "never to overthrow the Canadian Government." In November 1995 I launched my book Kingsway there, and the BEx insisted on doing the food, which I remember included celery and Cheez Whiz.

Pictured above, Bridget's brother Terry about to sink the 7 ball, Anita behind the karaoke machine and Alex on the mike, kicking things off with Steeler's Wheel's "Stuck In the Middle With You" (1972).

No comments:

Post a Comment