Thursday, April 7, 2022

Cage Is Essential to Growth


Of all the creatures who visit my yard -- racoons, cats, skunks, squirrels, rats, birds -- it is birds I prefer. Chickadees and hummingbirds in particular.  

The hummingbirds need little encouragement, because there are a number of food sources already available. But putting out seed for chickadees can be a problem. If not because of the other birds (crows and jays in particular), but the squirrels, who can squirrel their way into almost anything.

Last month I saw a used bird cage for $10 outside Li's shop (AA Furniture & Appliance) on Kingsway. The cage needed work -- a place to put my seeds -- so I built a food loft.

As for the gate, I tied it open, though I'm thinking of taking it off. No way I'll ever cage a bird. But if a cage is a place where my chickadees can come and go from, have a bite to eat without fear of attack, then so be it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment