Saturday, November 13, 2021

"With the Partial Use of Ideas By"


Last night I watched the Sound of Music (1965) and noticed some dampness on my sleeve by film's end. There is so much to cry over these days, and this film is a plumber's wrench when it comes to opening the taps.

I was a teenager the last time I saw the Sound of Music, and likely stoned enough to find it hilariously offensive. Organized religion, family. The Captain was crazy not to marry the Baroness, put the kids in boarding school and move to Vienna. Ha, ha, ha! we laughed.

On this recent go-around I noticed a screen title I'd never seen before. Screen titles were devised and upheld by Guilds and Academies, and are often fought over in hotel lobbies with lawyers who work for free in exchange for special titles like Associate Producer.

Who was Georg Hurdalek? Turns out he provided the Sound of Music with a lot more than "ideas." He wrote the script for Die Trapp-Familie (1956), which Paramount Pictures optioned for parts, but stuck to for large stretches with respect to scene chronology. More than "partial use," by my estimation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment