Saturday, July 17, 2021

Feeder


The butterfly bush was a gift from Bowen's April many years ago after attending a writing event there. Barely a foot-tall at the time, the bush has since grown to 12-feet and, like the "big tree" in P.D. Eastman's Go, Dog, Go! (1961), is alive with activity. Not dogs, but bees, humming birds and with the recent re-filling of my bird feeder: chickadees and finches. 

When the sun gets too hot to sit in the wicker chair, I scoot over to the lounger under the butterfly's boughs, which I trained to form a shademaker. Something I did not foresee when re-filling the feeder is how messy birds get, tossing out five seeds for every one they take with them. At first I thought these seeds would germinate and take root in the wildflower patch below, but, as pointed out to me by my neighbour Deenie, they will only encourage the pack rat.


No comments:

Post a Comment