Tuesday, July 6, 2021

"Days of Reading I"


Outside my immediate family, the relatives I was closest to were my great-aunts (my mother's mother's sisters). Of the four, I was closest to the two in Vancouver, both of whom lived alone, one a widow, the other a spinster. Because my mother hosted more than her share of family dinners, I saw a lot of my great-aunts at Xmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. Neither were particularly interesting (to me), but when together, oh how they bickered!

Here is Proust on his great-aunt:

"My great-aunt did more than sample the dishes so as to give her opinion with a quietness which would tolerate but not admit contradiction.  Over a novel, or a poem, things she was an expert in, she always differed, with a woman's humility, to the opinion of those more competent. She believed that to be the fluctuating domain of caprice in which the preference of the individual is unable to establish the truth." (52)


No comments:

Post a Comment