Thursday, October 21, 2021

Believe Her


Did I hear the Believer is shutting down? No, I read it on someone's Twitter feed, and a couple days later the "mainstream" media arrived with their fact-checked stories. The L.A. Times carried the first story I read, and honestly, I had no idea -- I thought the magazine was run by Dave Eggers from an apartment on San Francisco's Valencia Street, not by an institute at a Las Vegas university.

Times change. In 2004 the Believer reviewed a book of mine, and after reading the L.A. Times story I went looking for it (online). The first thing I noticed was that the person who wrote the review had changed too. Changed names, that is. I won't tell you her dead name, because that's not on. Let's just say that she has always been Garielle (Lutz), but it wasn't until recently that she published under that name.

For those unfamiliar with Garielle Lutz, here is her 2009 essay, "The Sentence is a Lonely Place". Weed it and reap!

No comments:

Post a Comment