Friday, October 29, 2021

Finding Nothing


Gregory Betts's Finding Nothing: the Vangardes, 1959-1975 (Toronto: U of T, 2021) arrived last month. I have just finished the 110 page "Introduction" (roughly 34.5% of the book) and am stimulated enough to review it. Not here, but for Ormsby

Michael Morris's The Problem of Nothing (1966, in gouache; 1967, in acrylic) makes a nice cover, no? I thought so when I chose it for the cover of my SFU Gallery exhibition pamphlet in 2010. Ray Johnson thought enough of it (reproduced in a 1968 issue of Artforum) that he cut it up, collaged it and sent it back to Morris, with an invitation to participate in his correspondence art project. I expect someone will see fit to use it again at some point. A problem that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment