Sunday, May 23, 2021

"the zero or the circle"


A few years ago, when I was dipping into the writings of Cixous, Irigaray and Kristeva, I often came across the name Monique Wittig, but never her books in stores. I could have gone online and ordered some, I suppose, or had them ordered, but I am accustomed to finding books this way (in stores). Yesterday I found one, a translation by David Le Vay of Wittig's 1969 fiction Les Guérillères.

Les Guérillères is the story of a tribe of warrior women who overthrow the patriarchy and establish a new order. It is told through a succession of paragraphic blocks that build like a gathering army. Presumably, these blocks (as literal structures) allow for the construction of something more permanent -- a castle or a sub-division in a land where there are no longer divisions. The book is hailed by its 1985 publisher (Beacon) as "widely read," and I think even Anne Ernaux mentions it in her memoir The Years (2008/2017), but I don't see any younger writers and thinkers citing Les Guérillères today. Maybe I need to read more (widely)?

Here is a passage that occurs early in Les Guérillères:

"Somewhere there is a siren. Her green body is covered in scales. Her face is bare. The undersides of her arms are a rosy colour. Sometimes she begins to sign. The women say that of her song nothing is to be heard but a continuous O. That is why this song evokes for them, like everything that recalls the O, the zero or the circle, the vulval ring." (14)


No comments:

Post a Comment