Friday, May 7, 2021

Preliminary Drawing


I am finally getting around to the boxes that made up the false wall in the room I once called my study. Today's boxes covered the mid-2000s, and inside one of them I found a drawing I couldn't remember drawing (not at first), but one I recognized from its referent: Christos Dikeakos's iconic photograph of Robert Smithson's Glue Pour (1970) at the edge of the UBC Endowment Lands. (A couple file folders later a note, and it all came back to me.)

The drawing, made with my eyes closed, is comprised of three successive attempts at picturing Lucy Lippard (far-right), Smithson (middle-right), Dennis Wheeler (middle-left) and Ilya Pegonis (far-left) from Dikeakos's photo. My intention was to embody the outline -- enough that I could apply it without hesitation to the front of a thick-soled black sandal, which I then filled-in with Wite-Out and Helga Pakasaar modelled at an Artspeak fundraiser, where it was purchased by the Penner Sisters, one of whom (Susan) was married to Wheeler.


No comments:

Post a Comment