Monday, May 24, 2021

Rock and Role


The first rock (foreground) was removed from the rock garden (right) after the heather had fully consumed it. I saw no point in keeping the rock hidden (the earth was now hard enough to retain itself), so I moved it to the rock pile near the rear garden where I could consider its fate.

The second rock (middle) was removed from the same rock garden a couple years earlier, for similar reasons, and it too lay waiting until we cut down the fir I was trying to turn into a palm. The second rock's hard edge met perfectly with the fir's stump, but because the rock looked lonely, uneasy with its "staged" presentation, I added the first rock as a companion.

The third and smallest rock (background) has no former duty nor origin (that I know of) but came of use after our neighbour extracted a mature false cypress and, as we all knew, where it stands now is where it was meant to be. What was there before the arrival of the false cypress was an unhappy little juniper that for too long lived in the fir's shadow. After replanting the juniper in the spot where I removed the first rock, we put the false cypress in the juniper's old hole and a small rock before it to balance the hose that waters it.

No comments:

Post a Comment