Friday, November 27, 2020

Outrageous! (1977)


A scene from Outrageous! (1977), where Craig Russell wows the crowd at Toronto's The Manatee with his impressions of Bette Davis.

How great to see this film again after not having seen it since it first came out, when, as a fifteen-year-old, I would often go to movies by myself. I am not sure what lead me to see this film by myself, other than the differences I felt with those I could easily see Star Wars (1977) with. Who was I then that I did not even think of asking someone to join me for a film about the relationship between a female impersonator and a young woman struggling with mental health issues? And who might that make me today, for saying so?

Canadian taxpayers contributed to another watchable film concerning mental health, though it is never advertised as such. Click here for Don Owens's Montreal-set The Ernie Game (1967).

No comments:

Post a Comment