Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Having Arrived at the Age I Am


She was unable to make plans, so she gave up drinking. Soon enough the cravings replaced the drinking. To combat the cravings she took up gardening. She had visions of raised beds, winding paths ... 

But gardening takes time, and she wanted something now, so she asked me if I would drive her to Southlands' to purchase a half-barrel planter, a bag of potting soil and some annuals, which I did.

Once home, she went looking for the trowel that came with her mother's stuff and found an unopened mickey of gin. She placed the gin at the bottom of the barrel and filled it with soil and primula. 

This was years ago.

Last August her daughter phoned to ask me if I could get the planter from the yard before they tear down the house. She said it's all her mother talks about, and if she could see it from her window, with "something colourful in it," it might cheer her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment