Thursday, August 24, 2023

"Fire, I'll take you to learn"


I am the god of hellfire and I bring you
Fire, I'll take you to burn
Fire, I'll take you to learn
I'll see you burn
                                                                         -- Arthur Brown

The news coming out of the Okanagan and Shuswap regions is predictable, though no less disturbing: area residents fighting government officials over who gets to fight the fire.

No, it's not like that at all, says the chippiest of residents imaginable; it's about my right to defend my property from elected officials (Bowinn Ma) and government bureaucrats (Forrest Tower) who don't know anything but numbers, and who take their donut breaks while my house burns.


And the government response?

A unified system that has gear available when needed and crews that can focus on the fire, not rescuing those who, in defiance of a government order, have insisted on staying behind to protect their home and assets.


More recently, talk of a fire fighting agency and, at the grassroots level, a registry that gathers those in the area with firefighting and engineering skills who could be deputized in the event of emergency.

Could a similar registry be developed and applied to those who have a knee-jerk hate-on for liberal democratic governments and would like nothing better than to storm their capitols and behead their heads of state?

Yes, an interdisciplinary agency that would invest more in education, community centres and interfaith organizations. The culture is stoopid. And nothing hates the culture more than stoopid people.

No comments:

Post a Comment