Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Shorelines



Every night after turning out my light the covers under my chin a stretch of beach to the north and a veil of trees behind it. Sometimes a tear in the veil and a grassy step up to a knoll big enough for a hut. A place to sleep or to sit inside and look out at the ocean.

Here is Jesus Maria, from Steinbeck’s Tortilla Flat (1935):

 

“I was sleeping on the beach two nights ago,” he said. “Out on the beach near Seaside. In the night the little waves washed a rowboat to the shore. Oh, a nice little rowboat, and the oars were there.  Got in and rowed it down to Monterey. It was easily worth twenty dollars, but trade was slow, and I only got seven.” (57)

 

And from there to Simon Starling’s Shedboatshed (Mobile Architecture No. 2) (2005), but without description or photo.

 

--Why?

 

--You’ll just have to trust me.

 

--Why just?

 

--Because I’m being fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment