Thursday, June 30, 2022

Presentations


I forget what led me to the 1977 Academy Awards presentation for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. I suppose the answer lies in my browser's "History" tab, but I'm too busy to look. It's a beautiful morning. I can't wait to get out in it.

At first I thought this incredible set was inspired by Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), as Award set designs often taken their cues from/pay tribute to movies released that year. But Close Encounters wasn't released until November, and the Academy Awards was held in March. 

Apart from its colours and lines, the set carries with it an illusion (the dotted path that Tatum O'Neal walks to the podium, to read the list of nominees), which is what movies are all about, be it "movie magic", sleight of hand or downright deceit. The colours are especially interesting. A large dome of Caucasian pink, over a smaller dome made up of yellow and brown (it was Awards co-host Richard Pryor who introduced O'Neal).

No comments:

Post a Comment