Monday, September 27, 2021

Tissue Issue


Back in January 2017 I came down with a cold that turned my nose into a tap. Tired of walking around with a roll of toilet paper under my arm, I purchased a pack of tissue boxes and placed them accordingly. Eventually I developed a thing for the sensation (sonic, haptic) that comes with removing a tissue, especially the last one.

Save-On Foods' Western Family brand made a very bland box that I favoured over the bolder name brand boxes that interfered with my home aesthetic. Around six months ago Save On replaced their very light green, very light blue and very light lavender boxes with busier patterns and darker colours, mostly blues. I don't like these new designs and now find myself in bed and bath shops looking for those stainless steel devices designed to go over them.

A couple days ago I pulled on a tissue, and whoosh -- last one. I took the box from my bathroom shelf and sat with it a while.

Lucio Fontana's cut paintings come in a range of styles, of which my box approximates the centred vertical slash, albeit on a transparent surface that appears after the perforated cardboard centre of the box is removed. As for the remainder of the box, shades of Frank Stella's Protractor series in line and form, but not in colour. To my knowledge, Stella never did a Protractor painting that didn't feature anything less than two colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment