Saturday, September 4, 2021

Cameron Kerr


I was out front watering yesterday when I noticed my friend and neighbour talking to someone behind an SUV. The hatch was up, and it looked like they were doing business. I waved, he waved, and the guy he was talking to waved as well. "Is that Cameron?" I asked. "Yes, it is," he said. "Do you want some fish?"

Cameron had just returned from boating off Cape Scott, at the north end of Vancouver Island. He and a friend had been hand jigging, and he showed me a short video of the two of them rolling around in twenty foot swells. I handed him back his phone, still in disbelief.

"Here," he said, handing me a five pound bag of halibut and red snapper. Wow! "How much do I owe you, Cameron?" and Cameron said, "Nothing." I insisted on something, and Cameron said shyly, "Some gas money?" The easiest thing I have done this week was to give Cameron Kerr a twenty dollar bill for some of the freshest fish I have had in years.

Last night it was halibut (above), today I'll bake a strip of snapper and enter the rest into a chowder. 

As for Cameron, he truly is one of the most remarkable people I have ever met. Have a look at his recent Trapp Projects Beyond Thought Forms exhibition. An amazing artist who, in part because of his shyness, is chronically under-appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment