Thursday, March 18, 2021

Dream I Tell You (2006)


I spotted the book spine-out on the "New Arrivals" shelf at Tanglewood. I have a thing for its author so I removed it, flipped through it (selections from her dream journals), then put it back on the shelf. OCD'ingly I removed it again, flipped through it again, then lingered here and there, this time on the back jacket copy: "Cixous's accounts of her dreamscapes resist standard psychoanalytic interpretations ...." Is that possible? I am speaking of those readers trained in it, determined by it.  

Cixous's accounts are rarely over 250 words each. I decided to purchase the book and read an account three times before going to sleep each night. It was my hope that the account would find its way into my own dreams. After five attempts -- success!

I was late for a talk I was giving at the PdT, running down Manutention, hoping that the papers spilling out of my satchel were not my lecture notes, when who should I see coming towards me but Cixous! "Hélèn!" I cried out. "J'arrive!" And Hélèn lit up, quickened her pace, opening her arms as if to embrace me -- only it wasn't me her arms were for, but the ghost of Jacques Derrida falling to earth behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment