Thursday, August 29, 2019

An Interview with Dodie and Kevin (1999)



On August 25th, friends and lovers of Kevin Killian held (I want to say staged) a memorial for their friend and lover at SFMOMA's Phyllis Wattis Theatre. One of the eulogizers, Scott Watson, said the room was packed and there was an overflow feed. I want to turn to Kevin and say overflow feed but can't because Kevin is in SF, not beside me in Vancouver. (I want to place the previous sentence in parentheses, but Kevin's ghost says No, the New Narrative gods will be angry!) Robert Gluck was the opening eulogizer, Eileen Myles the closer. What remains of Kevin will be placed beside Jack Spicer at Cypress Lawn Memorial Park in Mateo County.

Scott said there was a film program, and that my short film, An Interview with Dodie & Kevin (1999), was screened (see image above). I was happy to hear that, because it brought to mind details of the visit that brought about the film; a time when I travelled with a super-8 camera, shooting this and that, sometimes developing my film, sometimes not. I gave the Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery the reel in the mid-2000s, but unfortunately it got lost. Fortunately I made two VHS copies, one of which I gave to Dodie and Kevin during a 2000 visit, the other I gave to the Belkin shortly after Kevin's death. The Belkin's Jana Tyner had the video transferred and that's the version that was screened.

No comments:

Post a Comment