Thursday, January 31, 2019

"If only he could see us now"



On January 5th I posted on a Kingsgate Mall pop-up shop. Included amongst its paintings and postcards were the decorative contents of the former Horseshoe restaurant on Renfrew Street. Yesterday I noticed the pop-up was filled with B.C. government promotional posters (like the 1978 Captain Cook Bicentennial above).

One of the sales people -- an older burly man in pilling black sweats -- wandered over to ask why I was taking pictures. "Because it's getting harder to believe posters like this once existed," I told him.

It was then that he told me about the current inventory. "Everything here belonged to a local design company. From reference materials," he said pointing to a 1969 copy of the Saturday Evening Post -- "to that poster you just took a picture of," which, as it turned out, was a company product.

"Did you know anyone who worked for the company?" I asked.

"Of course I do," he replied -- "I was a partner!"

No comments:

Post a Comment