Saturday, October 8, 2016

Sutherland Street



When you "rediscover" your old creations, isn't it funny that you find them so satisfying? You're as engrossed as a baby is with his or her own poop. And, to top it off, it seems as if a hiatus from old ways sharpens your skills at those abandoned practices. Then you ask yourself: "Why did I ever stop doing this? How is it that I forgot myself? Why do I have to rediscover what I already know?" And then you cry out: "I want to go home again!" Well, come on back. Your room's just like it was when you left. We've kept it exactly the same, untouched, in anticipation of your return. You're home.
-- Mike Kelley, from "Goin' Home, Goin' Home," The Thirteen Seasons (Heavy on the Winter), (Cologne: Jablonka Galerie, 1993).

No comments:

Post a Comment