Sunday, June 20, 2010

I had problems finding English-translated lyrics to Hungarian folk songs online. The only lyric I could find appeared on a site where someone was looking for the origin of a Hungarian song called "Company".

The theme taken up in "Company" is common to the Hungarian folk songs of Bartok's era. I have no idea if "Company" was one he worked with.

COMPANY
(unknown)

All my dreams go back
Where my sweet country is
Green woods, flowery meadows
And stands my old, old country home

I know I shall return
Return, return
My wanderings will end
I'll be there again
In my beautiful country.

No faraway lands lure me
No glimmering cities
I am free of temptations.

Finally I am home I know
Finally, finally
My wanderings are over
At last I am here
In my sweet homeland

No comments:

Post a Comment