Wednesday, April 5, 2023

The Philosophies of Jane Fonda and Roger Vadim


"At the time [1963] I didn't realize that Jane already showed certain symptoms of a progressive form of America Puritanism. She had a deep need to justify her right to exist by influencing or deciding what was best for others for their own good. 'A life without a cause is a lost existence' could be her motto. It is a very noble philosophical attitude which I understand to a certain extent. But I can't reconcile myself to the idea of centring life on a 'cause.' I give the word 'life' a broader meaning, which excludes neither pleasure nor time spent (lost, Jane would say) enjoying the amusements that the Inventor of this beautiful planet called Earth placed at the disposition of intelligent creatures." (245)

No comments:

Post a Comment