Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Ultimate Disaster Pack



Tanglewood Books on West Broadway has a small but discerning selection of DVDs. Last week I picked up five of them, one of which caught the eye of the droll English clerk. "Ah, smashing. A disaster pack."

Of the four disaster pack films, Rollercoaster (1977) is the only one I haven't seen, so I will save it for a particularly gloomy day and hope that its special effects are hokey enough that I might pause them, watch them frame-by-frame.

On pause below, a scene from Earthquake (1974). Charlton Heston returns to his office to save his boss, played by Lorne Greene, a former CBC newsreader who was nicknamed the "Voice of Doom". That is the Voice of Doom's ass you see, over Heston's shoulder. That or his ass double.


I watched this scene more than once because it occurred to me, having been on sets, that the giddy factor could have been high and the scene required more than a few takes. But try as I might, I found no sign that any of these actors -- not even for a split-second -- broke character.

No comments:

Post a Comment