Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Silver Balls, Silver Balls -- Soon It Will Be Christmas Time


In the middle of the 2200 block of East 30th is a mid-90s-built house (done cheaply, in the Edwardian style), with a large silver ball in its front yard. On that ball is a reflection of what faces it, so it's hard to say it's not much to look at, unless the person doing the looking has self-esteem issues. 

How does it happen that a ball like this ends up in someone's yard? It is unlikely that the resident woke up one morning and thought, I would be happier if I had a six-foot-high metallic ball in my yard, and then went online to find one, purchase it and have it delivered just so. More likely the ball came available (an expendable film prop?), and the resident (who works in film?) said, I'll take it! because it is interesting, unusual, or it might be worth something some day. Strathcona, where many film workers live, is Vancouver's spent prop graveyard.

This morning I awoke from a dream that had me driving northwest on Kingsway, down the hill from Victoria, when I noticed a ball just like this one in my rearview mirror, gaining speed. An unsettling feeling because, although I was accelerating, the image on its surface kept getting larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment