Friday, February 19, 2021

Miscellany Finds


Miscellany Finds bills itself as a "thrift store for social change." I have made it my turnaround (warm up) point for walks to Commercial Drive and back.

Earlier this week I stopped in to peruse its DVDs and CDs (Strauss's Der Rosenkavaler, Herbert von Karajan conducting) and noticed in a knick-knack box this 1.5"x2.5" ceramic object that says everything I want in a cup of tea. 

"How much?" I asked the clerk, placing the piece on the counter before her.

She took the piece in her impressively long-nailed hand, turned it this way and that, her brow furrowing, the corner of her mouth lifting slightly. "Four dollars," she said to the piece, returning it to the counter.

"A bargain," I said, though I would have paid twice that for the way she looked at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment