Saturday, March 28, 2020

Underworld U.S.A. (1961)



Getting near the bottom of the unwatched portion of my DVD collection. What's left are bootlegs of films recommended to me  -- given to me -- that I never got around to. A few days ago it was Sergio Leone's visually (and sonically) arresting Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), which I had only seen in bits; last night it was Sam Fuller's Underworld U.S.A. (1961).

Above is the scene where Tolly Devlin (Cliff Robertson) is invited into the inner circle of the local crime boss, whose lieutenants Devlin has vowed to destroy for murdering his father when Devlin was a teen.

The crime boss has a legitimate business/foundation to cover for his illegal dealings. I had to laugh when I saw the name -- National Projects. Sounds like something out of FDR's "New Deal". Or what the next U.S. administration might come up with once this virus passes through us?

No comments:

Post a Comment