Sunday, January 26, 2020

"I, Robot ... You, Jane"



A month ago I picked up Season One of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (on DVD) for $2 at the East Hastings Street Value Village. Now I understand why the show has courses named after it. There are shades of Buffy in almost everyone I know under fifty.


I am currently up to Episode Eight -- "I, Robot ... You, Jane" (1997). A great take on Moloch, who, in this episode, is "captured" in text by a group of 15th century Italian monks. A half-century later, Moloch is delivered in book form to the Sunnyvale High School library and is scanned into a computer. As scanning is reading (and reading is reviving), Moloch converts online reader/programmers into his servants. A prelude to the worst aspects of our social(ly) media(ted) world.


No comments:

Post a Comment