Friday, July 26, 2019

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"



The passing of Rutger Hauer has seen the Dutch actor reduced to a "Blade Runner co-star." My introduction to Hauer came at a mid-1970s Ridge Theatre screening of Paul Verhoeven's Turkish Delight (1973). For years Dutch people voted Turkish Delight as the Netherland's best film, ever.

Below is my update of Hauer's improvised "Tears in the Rain" speech from Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982):

Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. An American electorate forsake reason for emotion. I watched their president boast that he could have Afghanistan "wiped off the face of the earth," if he "want[ed] to go that route."

All those moments will can never be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment