Friday, March 29, 2019

Poem


Where a Space is Counted as a Character 
for Lynn Crosbie

a ledger of characters
surging, insistent, limited
its audit requires

an emotional intelligence
I am careful to listen for
though the reigning preposition

is to

I say to myself -- is to
I say it in Franz’s voice, then in Sophie’s
after screaming at them

“Alice Cooper is not a woman!” 

is too!

and this went on for some time
as gunfire sometimes does
spewing youth, taking it

our block a Sarajevo, with me its Princip
we were eleven when I understood how
in the context of learning what we know

someone could think so

our wars ended 
when the street lights came on

I am drifting again
the platforms encourage it

to stay with anything too long
is to risk an explanation; best to just
STFU, if you know what’s good for you

years later Sophie finds me, emails 
“You should be on Twitter!”
I reply for an hour, then hit delete

No comments:

Post a Comment