Friday, August 31, 2018

Fine Art



After Wednesday's dinner I took a walk through the neighbourhood to see who is still watering their garden. Eventually I ended up at Fraser Street, where I headed south to Kingsway and saw that the doors to the Hungarian Cultural Centre were open, with two signs outside advertising FINE ART.

I had never been inside the Hungarian Cultural Centre before, but it is not unlike most cultural centres I have seen, with a stage at one end, wainscotted walls and a high ceiling. The wood floor was new, which told me the centre is doing well as a rental venue.

But the artworks! Mostly painting, mostly figurative, with a couple of sculptors working in marble and granite. Not quite the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but not what we think of when we think of contemporary art, either.

A portrait by Zámbó Katalin:


A drawing by Jávor István:


An acknowledgement of sponsors:


No comments:

Post a Comment