Friday, July 27, 2018

"I like that you can take a concept to an artist, and watch them rise to the challenge."



_______ is on the rise. That’s the general sentiment of the urbanites who flock there each year. They want the all the benefits of a big city without the costly rents and rat race. There’s also something to be said about living in a city where the creative energy is strong. ______ _____, an art dealer who honed her chops in ___ ____ at galleries like ______ ______ and what is now __________ ____________, recently made the move to the _______ area to open _____ Projects, a 4,600-square-foot contemporary art gallery located in the _______ _______ building on ___ ________ ______ in __________, ________, just a 25-minute drive from _______. _____ Projects opened with the group show developed with artist _____ ______ titled __________ ____— on view through May 26 —  which explores the themes of surveillance, labor, privacy, oversharing on social media, the unobtainable balance between work and life and mistaken identity. The exhibition features works by ____ ___, ____ ______, _____ _______, ____  ______, ________ ________, _____ ______, _____ ______, and ___ _______. I quizzed ______ on decamping ___ ____ for ________, opening _____ Projects and the premise of the inaugural show.
What made you leave ___ ____?
_______! I was drawn to the idea of coming to a city that’s experiencing a surge. I feel like I’m in the most exciting part of _______ right now. ___ ____ has become a very rarified place, especially in the art world. And I love it there, but you can get goosebumps here in a way that you can’t in ___ ____. I wanted to be on the ground floor of the culture. And my family is here. 
__________. ________ seems like an odd place to start a gallery. Why did you decide to open your space there instead of _______?
_____ Projects is not the first. I like to think we’re following in the footsteps of a rich tradition in the arts. _______ _______ was a pioneering gallerist based in __________ for 40  years, paving the way for contemporary galleries like ours.
How do you plan to make sales when you're not in a typical destination for collectors?
Well first off, ________ has a rich collecting community, especially ______ ______ (__________, __________ _____). These are people that travel the world to discover fine art and design. Collectors follow the art, wherever it is. Culture will always function as a cultural oasis—look at the community that rose around Marfa, or Miami Basel. You find that if you have work that you truly love, that speaks to you, that stands out to you, it’s not difficult to sell. That’s the barrier to selling art: your total belief in the work. I could sell these artists from a payphone on the side of the highway. Although I’d prefer not to.
How did you find the space? Why did you choose that space?
We wanted to be in the heart of the city! I was looking for something particular: big, and with the right light. The space you choose for your gallery can elevate the work. I wanted to find a raw space that I could design in the way that I saw fit. The _______ ________ building is a landmark, and I feel it’s special that we can be here, and tailor the space to our needs.
Explain the whole concept of __________ ____.
Working with artists directly is a big part of who I am as a person. I like that you can take a concept to an artist, and watch them rise to the challenge. Ideas are their medium, in so many ways. __________ ____evolved out of some of the thematic interests you see on the reality TV show, that in an art context are incredibly potent things to think about: surveillance, labor, privacy, oversharing on social media, the unobtainable balance between work and life, and mistaken identity. In fact one artist in the exhibition _____ ______ is frequently mistaken for the bass player from the stoner bands _____ and ___ ________.
What is that whole story with the fake review lines?
The press release is a gag. Another case of mistaken identity. I think the show deals with its heady themes in a way that's also humorous. That's what art can do, give a dialogue a new context.  
How did you select the artists?
The ethos behind the gallery is creating opportunities for _______ artists to show and sell their work and be put in context with established and emerging artists from hubs like ___ ____. Of course many of the artists I’m bringing with me are old friends from ___ ____, from when I showed them, or worked with them at __________. To be frank, I picked the artists with the work that I love. The work always comes first. 
What are some of the exhibition's highlights?
Well, I’m particularly excited to be featuring ________ _______. He’s from here. The gallery showed him at the ______ Art Fair, our first art fair, and we sold out the booth in its entirety. _____ ______’s also _______-based, and has some incredible new roller paintings for the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment