Friday, June 22, 2018

Poncho



No one cares much for my poncho. When I purchased it, I announced boldly that I am "bringing back the poncho," so I think that sealed it.

I like my poncho. I like its adaptability. It is a blanket, but it is also a blanket to be worn when standing.

I also like its story: how I saw it at a thrift store in Kamloops, but when I went back to buy it, it was gone. A month later I saw it at Erin Templeton's Vancouver shop (I had bumped into Erin in Kamloops at an exhibition opening). I told her my story, and she laughed, said it was our story now, and offered to split the difference.

So the poncho is not simply a garment purchased at a shop, but an emblem, a story on which its relationships are carried.

Thanks, Brian, for taking its picture. And for last night's bison (wieners).


No comments:

Post a Comment