Saturday, July 31, 2010

A good-sized crowd out at Howler’s last night. At one point the pub lost its power and Betsy was forced to read her “flash fictions” by flashlight.

Unfortunately for me, the outage had the kitchen closed just long enough to keep it from re-opening. So I did not get my supper, surviving on peanuts until Heather, Graham, Adele and I decamped to the porch outside my apartment, where Adele put together a pea and salmon feast.

I enjoyed the reading, the questions from the audience. I enjoyed our conversation on the moonlit porch.

Afterwards, while brushing my teeth, I recalled the interactions I’d had since arriving on Haida Gwaii. If a theme were to emerge, it would concern that which is supposed to happen easily and doesn’t, and that which is not expected but happens perfectly nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment