Tuesday, September 28, 2021

What's the Story Morning Glory?


Back in the mid-1990s I began a three year war against a legion of morning glory stationed amongst the backyard laurel. I recall pulling out basketball-sized clumps of the stuff, which I tossed into a dedicated garbage bin, occasionally spraying it with some long-banned product. In the last year of my war I noticed my neighbour had a beautiful blue flower emerging from one of her front porch pots. It looked like a morning glory, but it was blue.

Ipomoea tricolour, commonly known as Mexican morning glory, is an annual (and sometimes perennial) that, like the California Lilac or the Forget-Me-Not, contributes a blue like no other. I have over the years grown this flower, always from seed, never started from inside the house, always outside. This year's pot was prepared in early-April, with every seed in my clock face planting sprouting, twining together and climbing the pillar as planned. Only it never flowered, until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment