Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Saintpaulia


Two years ago I purchased this African Violet (Saintpaulia) thinking I might finally get one to flower. My first African Violet I inherited in the early-1980s, while attending university in Victoria. It wasn't until I saw one at a friend's house that I realized mine was almost entirely covered in dust. I thought they came that way, that what turned out to be dust was plant matter.

After some research I realized that the only chance I had of getting my African Violet to flower was through drugs, or supplements as they are called at the nursery. The product is from Schultz and is comprised mostly of phosphoric acid (14%), potash (9%) and nitrogen (8%); the remaining 59% includes microdoses of iron, magnesium, zinc and something called EDTA.

Flowering began with a single flower, under which were five tiny buds, the second of which opened four days ago. I am amazed that something uncomfortable with direct sunlight should produce a purple as lively as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment