Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Exhibition Tour



On September 30 I will be giving a walking tour of the Legacy of Canadian Art exhibition at the Kelowna Art Gallery. Curated by Roger H. Boulet, the exhibition is comprised of works held in private collections by Kelowna area residents.

Among the works included are by artists Cornelius Krieghoff, A.Y. Jackson, Emily Carr, Lawren Harris, A.J. Casson, Jack Bush, Gershon Iskowitz, Jack Shadbolt, Daphne Odjig and Joe Fafard, whose painted bronze sculpture The Candidate (Chretien), 1987, appears above. 

Although I am only just now gathering my notes, I am fairly certain I will spend time on Fafard's The Candidate. Less the work itself than the significance of its subject (Chretien is the author of Statement of the Government of Canada on Indian Policy, 1969, also known as the "White Paper") and the placement of the work at the centre of the KAG's southernmost gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment