Monday, September 21, 2009

Inside the paper, an article on Laurie Anderson and her work with NASA. The article didn’t say much, distracted as I was by my mistrust of NASA, the space program being a branch of the United States military. Does that make Laurie Anderson a war artist?

I would be curious to hear how Anderson might approach working with marching cadences -- her and Robert Wilson, whose texts I prefer, he being more effective at taking portentousness beyond the length of the standard pop song. Not that astronauts march.

Funny watching her videos on youtube, as I did just now, how the work changed as the budgets grew. Everything started to sound like money. The African-American backup singers, Adrian Belew’s guitar, the applause. It’s amazing how much it costs to get a rocket into space.

No comments:

Post a Comment