Friday, October 20, 2023

If you lie down in a field she will find you there (2023)


Colleen had her book launch at Artspeak on Wednesday. No one from Artspeak was there, which was to be expected, given that the gallery has dropped its art and text mandate, but friends of Colleen were there, and that's what Colleen wanted, because she said so.

I love this book, and I said as much on the back of it, as did friends Liz Magor and Johnny  D. Trinh. I didn't know until looking through it on the bus ride home that Susan Musgrave was its editor. Susan is excellent at helping to put books together, though I have to say, when it comes to grief, grieving and the deceased, both she and Colleen have different ideas.

Susan most recent book is Exculpatory Lilies (2022).

Here's an excerpt from Colleen's book, from Page 27:

"Sometimes, on quiet afternoons, Mom showed me a children's hatbox she saved for Vicky. She let me look through it under supervision: a pink, circular case with a plastic handle and a clasp crammed with Vicky's childhood belongings. I remember a little girl's handkerchief and stuffed dog. The stuffing was sort of hard, maybe foam pellets. The fabric wasn't furry; it was smooth. Totally inferior to my own plush stack. I coveted it anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment