Sunday, September 10, 2023

Saturday's Walks


I can't remember the last time I was as social as I was yesterday. A six block walk to the Equinox Gallery, for Ben's opening, then, for the first time, Artem Exhibits across the street, where I met Susan Loudon and Doug Rowed and heard their story: that the gallery is theirs and is devoted to their artworks, which they are showing "in instalments."


Most of the work is Susan's and feels as much, if not more, like pages from a book (see above). I mentioned this to Doug -- that some of Susan's paintings and illustrations feel like they were inspired by art historian Herbert Read's novel The Green Child (1935) -- and was told, in the most pleasant way possible, that Susan, who was sitting behind a desk at the entrance of the gallery, has never read the book, so no, they're not.

On my way out I asked Susan if she had read The Green Mile. She said no, but asked to hear more, so I talked about a couple of her works that could have appeared nearer the beginning of the book and she jotted down the title and author. I know I bought a second copy of the New Directions edition, so if I find it I'll be sure to drop it by.


From there, south on Commercial Street to 21st, then east to Perry, where I thought I'd stop by Famous Foods and replenish my supply of dried fruit and nuts. Suddenly there was Margaret (above), who was about to lead a neighbourhood tour as part of her block's block party, so I joined and, because I'd done some research and writing on the area, added my two-bits when asked. Also on the tour were two very funny Pauls -- Morstad and Rigby -- whose humour Margaret indulged like the professional she is.


The final stop was the People's Co-op Bookstore (above), for the launch of SOME, which I'd recently posted on. George (Bowering) couldn't physically make it, nor read due to eye problems, so Colin Browne read in his place, while George watched from home, via Skype. Renee (Rodin) was there and could read, and did so, impeccably, leaving us wanting more. And finally Lionel (Kearns), who I bumped into on the way and walked with, his funny scotty dog Maggie beside us. Lionel had the shortest poems (even shorter than fellow contributor Rae Armantrout's, who unfortunately couldn't make it in either form, either), but read the longest.


No comments:

Post a Comment