Monday, July 31, 2023

The Sentimentalists



Fifty pages into Johanna Skibsrud debut novel The Sentimentalists (2009) and I find the narrator's family spread too thin to be anything more than writing, and I love writing. 

The second chapter ("Casablanca", 46-65) opens with an even more interior "voice". Closer to William Faulkner than to Marian Engel. 

This:

The birds on the top strand of the telephone wires whose notes, which had remained always, in previous days, a background melody that I had not heard, seemed suddenly to hit precisely the chords which resonated in my own stopped heart, (47)

I wonder who at D&M edited this book. There's some broken-shoelace sentences that might have warranted post-it notes. Is this the form trauma takes? Is The Sentimentalists "about" trauma and its inheritors.

This:

In reminder to myself that although it felt like it might there was no way that a two-day trip could last forever, I imagined the different ways I might recount its events even as they occurred. (29)

No comments:

Post a Comment