Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Villa Maris


The Villa Maris (aka the Pink Palace) and its sibling the Shoreland Apartments have been West Vancouver mainstays since the 1960s. Like neon, the BowMac sign and certain examples of municipally-funded public art, affection for the Villa ebbs and flows.

The architects who were so influential in bringing modernism to Vancouver (Arthur Erickson, Abraham Rogatnick, Ronald Thom, et al.) would have loathed the New Sensualism that gave us the Villa Maris; but there are many my age (late-born Boomers) who saw not aberration but kitschy fun. I for one love the way the Villa lights up as the summer sun approaches the setting position. Always from a distance though. 

Yesterday, while on a break from my duties as a pallbearer, I found myself driving along West Van's Bellevue Avenue, when suddenly I was at the foot of the Villa. Quite a sight, all that pink, but for something so radiant, I was shocked by how rickety it felt. A metonym for West Vancouver? A place that looks great from a distance?

No comments:

Post a Comment